Wednesday 9 April 2014

Let’s save the one who nurtures…

Let us respect the one who cares
Who fulfils our needs
And happiness she shares
She has the supreme power to nurture
Lets thank the lovely mother nature…

A good person is one who stays connected to his roots; who remembers the bonds of love; and who values the relationships that helped him in the journey called life. One of the earliest bonds we have in life is with nature. For its nature that becomes our first school. As we grow up, we take the highway to success and often ignore the bond with nature. But nature takes it all with a smile, our love and even our mistakes, for nature is the mother, and a mother is always showering love and care on her children.

It was mom who strengthened my bond with nature. My earliest school was my garden, where I got my first lessons on colors and names. Nursery admission interviews were around the corner. Ma would take me to the garden, ask me to name the vegetables, fruits etc and tell the color. We would look at the lovely squirrels and sparrows on the guava tree and I would name every bird I saw. The leaves taught me green, the marigold-yellow, the tomatoes –red, the roses – pink. Although I cleared the admission process with flying colors, our morning rendezvous in the garden continued where ma and I sat every morning, listening to the chirping of birds and soaking in the beauty of nature.

Coping up with the fast lane life, we somehow drift apart from nature. It is only when we see someone caring for nature that we remember our own bond.

Recently, I was on a visit to Corbett with Mr. Hubby when I saw a WWF project signboard near the entrance. On asking the locals, I was told the local women partner with WWF for a project wherein they make natural manure from earthworms. We all had read in textbooks about compost and natural manures and conveniently forgotten it to the comfort of chemicals. But these villagers had kept their bond with nature intact. When I expressed my desire to see how the manure was made, the ladies were excited to see the madam from Delhi taking interest in their project. Like a chief guest, they welcomed me into their huts and showed me the pits covered with hay where natural manure was made from earthworms. “Memsaab, these earthworms are like our children, we care for them and Mother Nature cares for us…” their words inspired me so much that I pleaded to adopt some of the earthworms to take back home and bought their amazing natural manure. The earthworms are our family members in the garden where mummy feeds them vegetable waste and they give us natural manure.

When a child befriends the wrong person, the mother gets worried in concern. A big concern for nature today is mankind’s friendship with plastics. Plastics look presentable and convenient, but they pose threat to Mother Nature. Being non biodegradable, it is next to impossible to dispose them completely without harming the environment. While people in metropolitans still ask vegetable waallas to pack the veggies in polythene bags, the stand taken by people of Himachal Pradesh impressed me a lot. On a recent visit to Himachal, I found out that plastic bags are banned there and people use paper or cloth bags to carry their daily needs. “When they can, why cant we?” I wondered and once home, Mr. Hubby and I thought how we could get rid of the plastic in our daily lives.

We began by going for the good old jute bag to carry groceries. Might sound old fashioned to many, but we know we are saving our environment and the effort is worth it.
Instead of using plastic scrubbers, we have started using homemade scrubber made of coconut fibre (coir) to clean the dishes.

We all like to keep our houses clean and perfect and seldom bother about what happens outside, However, if we pause and think of our environment as our home, and take small steps to prevent the exploitation, nature too will appreciate and cooperate, for a mother showers her love and blessing for children who love and care.

This post is written for Nature's friend contest by Indiblogger and Kissan  Kissan is more than just its range of products. It's the trust of millions of Indian mothers when it comes to making their kids eat & grow up happily. Because all mothers know that Kissan products are filled with nothing but natural goodness as they are made from 100% real fruits and tomatoes. And to top it all, kids and adults equally swear by the taste of Kissan products

3 comments:

  1. I thought use of plastic bags is banned everywhere. We, in Ahmedabad, have to pay extra for plastic bags and we are already using jute/cloth bags!

    Best of luck for the contest :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is actually the supermarkets which can make the biggest change. We buy grocery once in a week and they give us tens of plastic bags. I then use them to dispose garbage which I separate depending on perishable/non-perishable. I try to fit in my stuff in the least no. of bags. It disheartens me to see people taking one item in one bag. I hope the awareness increases - your post could be really inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice take on the theme Shaivi.
    Imagine if each of us keep doing such little acts what a huge difference we can make. :)
    All the best!

    ReplyDelete

Its great to share. Would love to have your valuable comments on my blog...:)