Wednesday 16 May 2018

Pahadi Style Urad Dal Khichdi



Top post on IndiBlogger, the biggest community of Indian Bloggers
Few days ago, my MIL was remembering her days in Kullu. My FIL was posted there for a few years and lived in a cute little house on the banks of Beas river. She was telling me about the warmth of the neighbours and how they used to exchange dishes they prepared everyday. Since I am a big foodie, any mention of food gets my antennae active. So, I requested her to prepare one of the special dishes she had there. MIL went inside the kitchen and while I made the little one eat and sleep, she came up with the one of most delicious versions of the Khichdi I ever had! I was so hooked on to the Khichdi that I requested her to prepare one more time so that I can post the recipe on my blog. 

Sharing the recipe of Pahadi style Urad Dal Khichdi. This is an easier version by my MIL as she knows I am a lazy chef and a complicated recipe will scare me out!

Ingredients
Khichdi Rice (we used Basmati tukda that we generally use for baby food) - 1 Cup soaked for an hour
Urad Dal with skin - 1/2 Cup, soaked for an hour
Desi Ghee - 2 tbsp
Curry leaves - 4-5
Black peppercorns - 3-4 no.
Cloves - 2-3 no.
Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
Bayleaf - 1 no.
Asafoetida - 1 tsp
Green Chillies - 2-3 no. 
Ginger - a small piece
Garlic - 4-5 pods
Onion - 1 small
Salt - to taste
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
Water - 2 Cups

Method

1. Grind together the onion, ginger, garlic, curry leaves and green chillies. The mixture should be chopped, not blended. I used my electric chopper. Remember, we do not want a paste.

2. Heat 2 tbsp ghee in a pressure handi.

3. Add the bayleaf, asafoetida, cumin seeds, black peppercorns and cloves.

4. When they begin to splutter, add the chopped onion - garlic - ginger - curry leaves - green chillies mixture.

5. Saute on medium flame for 3-4 minutes. 

6. Add the soaked dal and rice and saute on medium flame for another 2-3 minutes.

7. Add turmeric powder and salt and mix well.


8. Add enough water to cover the mixture 1/2" above. Mix well.

9. Cover and cook for one whistle. Let the steam escape on its own from the pressure handi.

Serve piping hot with salad.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Its great to share. Would love to have your valuable comments on my blog...:)